Wednesday 26 October 2011

Battlewarfare 3 - How to ruin a game.

Oh god. Why?

So yesterday I decided to take a look at DICE's new game - Battlefield 3

It's no secret at all how I felt about Battlefield : Bad Company 2. It was, put simply, the finest feat of FPS/warfare gaming ever. When compared to Modern Warfare 2 in single player there was no comparisson.

This is something I would like my viewers to understand. I don't do competitive multiplayer gaming because, quite frankly, I am shit at it. I could probably be better at it if I knew how to hold my temper and channel my frustration, but I don't and I can't. Many pads have met the wall during a gaming session vs a friend and I become irate and annoyed very quickly, especially when poked at for being a noob.

So when I buy or play a game I do so with the basis that I want to play it either alone or in co op mode. Co op mode is very nice because it channels more positive energy. You work with people, not against them. So I like games like Left 4 Dead very much. The anticipation of a hoarde, the working together to cover all areas. This is constructive to me.

So when I compare Modern Warfare 2 to Battlefield : Bad company 2 the differences are night and day.

MW2 is a multiplayer game with a sperm stain on the mattress afterthought of a single player campaign. They did take the time to add the stupid shock value level (the airport one) to bolster sales, but for the most part you can walk through it with your eyes closed in five hours.

Bad Company 2 however? Well it takes much longer than that. It is meaner, bigger, badder and bolder. It also looks stunning.

So imagine my excitement at all of the BF3 commercials on the TV. Then, imagine my dissapointment when I load up a game that has totally forgotten what made itself so good, and instead rips off and tries to "Out COD" COD. From the moment you begin the game feels like a rolling sort of interactive Hollywood movie. You (well not you, it's all done for you) leap onto the roof of a moving train and from there you basically play "Simon" for a while, pressing the button that comes up and flashes.

Now whilst this may "look" good, it doesn't pan into a game. Infact, it kind of reminds me of something like a point a click adventure at the beginning. Assuring myself that I was wrong I decided to look around and see how the game was scoring in reviews. It's not terrible, but it's not great. I see 7-8 scores typically. I see lots of mixed reviews. I see a lot of people saying "Hey, it's very similar to MW2/Black Ops !".

This simply isn't good enough. It's a lame cop out.

Sigh. Oh well, at least there's still Skyrim to come this year, and my money will most certainly be spent on that.

1 comment:

  1. Bad Company and Battlefield are different franchises, though. Battlefield 1 & 2 had next to no single player to speak of - for single player shenanigans you want Bad Company, or possibly Modern Combat.

    Battlefield 3 is, obviously a sequel to Battlefield 2, not Bad Company 2; it’s all about the multiplayer, baby.

    ReplyDelete